1. The Gospel - The gospel is the good news that God, by his sheer grace, has come to rescue and restore us and to renew the world he loves through the work of Jesus Christ on our behalf. We believe that the gospel alone can transform lives. Jesus has laid down his life for you on the cross, dying for all of your sin and exchanging it for His righteousness. When you rely on his saving work on the cross, you have a new identity! You are no longer a slave to your former life and self, but a child of God who is deeply loved. The Holy Spirit now lives within you and is committed to never leaving you, always changing you and making you more like Jesus. At RUF, we desire to remind you who you are in Jesus and how you can be changed by this gospel forever.
"But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth his Son, born of woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God." Galatians 4: 4-7
2. Community - God did not intend for us to live out our faith indivudally, but rather in community with other believers. As the gospel transforms our relationships we trust that it will provide a partial - but real - glimpse of God’s kingdom and the future redemption of all of creation. At RUF, we seek to provide this gospel-centered community to students through large group, small groups and other events.
"And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God." Colossions 3:14-16
3. The University - As a UK student organization, we love the university and we appreciate the intrinsic value of our calling as students. We wholeheartedly affirm the many ways in which the university reflects God’s good purposes, but we also recognize that there are aspects of university life and our wider culture in need of God’s transforming love. Our hope is that as the gospel changes us individually and corporately, UK would be transformed into the very best center of living and learning. At RUF, we believe the Lord has called you to be a student, but not a student cut off from life on campus - enter into the places you are passionate about - business, the arts, sorority and fraternity life - and be light in the darkness to other students there.
"There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him. He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light." John 1: 6-8
4. Service - Jesus’ goal is nothing less than the renewal of all things, and he calls us to play an active role in his mission to re-weave the fabric of our world. To that end, we are committed to tangibly expressing God’s loving care for the world by sacrificially serving our friends, classmates, faculty and administration and by seeking wholeness for the poor and justice for the oppressed. As we share the gospel through the words we speak, the deeds we perform, and the community we embody, we enable people to discover the truth about themselves and the larger story of which their lives are a part. At RUF, our hope is that your heart is so captured by how the Lord Jesus has served you unto death, that this motivates you to so lay down your life for others.
"By this we know love, that he laid down his life for us, and we ought to lay down our lives for the brothers. But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him? Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth." 1 John 3:16-18
5. Equipping Leaders - The gospel provides us with resources for living out our full humanity within the church, culture and our unique vocations. At RUF, we are committed to helping one another identify, develop, and exercise the unique set of gifts that God has given us with gospel excellence and distinctiveness so that we might be servant leaders in RUF, our families and churches, the academy, business, medicine, government, media, and the arts.
"And he gave the apostles, the prophets, the evangelists, theshepherds and teachers, to equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ, so that we may no longer be children, tossed to and fro by the waves and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by human cunning, by craftiness in deceitful schemes. Rather, speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in every way into him who is the head, into Christ, from whom the whole body, joined and held together by every joint with which it is equipped, when each part is working properly, makes the body grow so that it builds itself up in love." Ephesians 4:11-16
** Thanks Justin Clement of UGA RUF for some of this content:)